Monday, January 9, 2012

Allergies...

For the first time in my life, I tried leeks at the end of August.  My mother-in-law grows them in her garden.  E and I were making a stir fry for supper and needed some extra ingredients.  After I had eaten my plate of stir fry, I became itchy head-to-toe.  My skin was literally crawling.  I quickly took some Benedryl and my itchiness eventually subsided.

Then came onions.  Suddenly, I became itchy when eating them.

Trying to find an alternative, I tried shallots.  Those little tiny devil vegetables.  The right side of my head swelled.  My right ear swelled shut, my right eye itched and burned, the right side of my throat swelled and closed off.  Thank goodness it was just the right side of my head.

I finally admitted defeat.  I had become allergic to onions and all onion variables.

I did some research on-line.  I found out that an adult can suddenly develop an allergy to anything, if it is consumed or come in contact with whilst their immune system is compromised.  This is especially prevalent in post-pregnancy moms.  I guess, when I ate the leeks in August, I had a compromised immune system, and developed an allergy.

Do you know where onions are?  EVERYWHERE!  It is a main ingredient in pretty much everything.  Once again, I have been relegated to label reading. 



No comments:

Post a Comment