Saturday, April 16, 2011

This Is How It All Went Down

Wednesday, April 13 - 7 pm-ish:  M smells rain in the air.  I agree and am not surprised when it does indeed start to drizzle a short while later.

Thursday, April 14 - 1:30 am:  Power goes out.  H wakes up because her sound/light machine goes off and she's plunged into darkness.  I go into her room with my little lantern and comfort her.  M gets the battery box and plugs in her sound/light machine and baby monitor.  M informs me that pancake-sized snow flakes are falling. I'm flabbergasted!  I feed H a bottle and she goes back to sleep.

Thursday, April 14 - 2 am: Back in bed.  Lay down for no longer than 16 seconds when I realize that I did not put my dog-in-law inside the house.  My in-laws live down the street, and had asked that I put the dog in sometime in the evening, while they were out of town.

I get dressed, put on my toque, winter jacket and M's boots.  I trudge down the road.  The snow is already up past my ankles.  It's snowing so fast that the snow builds up on my shoulders and head and occasionally sloughs off, although I'm walking.

Dog-in-law is huddled under the low branches of a tree in her front yard.  This is the one time that my in-laws decide to lock up their house and car.  I un-chain the dog and we walk back to my house so that I can get the car key.  Dog and I walk back to her house.  Snow is getting worse.  I'm cold and wet and can barely see out my glasses.  It's friggin' dark, too; my flashlight lights the path in front of me for about 5 feet.

I unlock in-laws' car and push the garage door opener, only to realize in my half-asleep stupor that (DUH!) the power is out and I cannot open the garage door.  Walk back to my house with the dog.

Set up a make-shift dog bed in the kitchen, give her a bowl of water and a bowl of dog treats (the only dog food that we have).

Thursday, April 14 - 2:30 am: Go back to bed.  I'm cold.  Wet. Exhausted.

Thursday, April 14 - 2:30 - 3:30 am: Toss and turn in bed.  Can't sleep, despite exhaustion.

Thursday, April 14 - 3:30 am: Power goes back on.  Dog proceeds to bark.  Don't want her to wake up baby, so I get out of bed, get dressed, and walk her back to her house.  Use car key to gain access through garage door.  Trudge back home.  Snow has lessened.  Lights are on, but I'm more freaked out because I can see the shadows now.  I'm convinced that a bear or a demon is following me as I walk home.

Thursday, April 14 - 4:30 am:  Finally back in bed.  Cannot sleep.

Thursday, April 14 - Afternoon: take a shitty nap.

Note: I completed this adventure with a brain-splitting migraine.

MY DOG-IN-LAW.  



No comments:

Post a Comment