Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Can Everyone Just Stop Dying Now?!

I mean, com'on.  Seriously.  SRSLY!!!

In September, my friend's husband passed away.  He had cancer for just over a year.  I'm so sad for her and her boys.  They're older (teen and 20-somethings), but he was a new grandfather, and such a sweet, loving and caring man.  He was only in his 40's.  Too young.  M and I used to go on double dates with them.  I haven't seen them in a long while.  I'm ashamed of that.

In October, one of our employees died.  He was old, not married, I don't think he had any kids.  They think he died of a heart attack.  Sadly, they found him on the toilet... even sadder... they found him 3 weeks after he died.  Which was 3 days ago.  How empty can someone's life be, that no one notices for 3 weeks that you've been dead?!  He was a nice guy.  He was so polite and kind.

On Sunday, November 14 one of our long-time employees passed away from lung cancer.  My husband cried.  R, our employee, got sick in spring 2009.  The doctors gave him a year to live.  He lasted 1.5 years.  His wife, S, also works for us.  They have 2 small children (8 & 6 years old).  I am so heartbroken for them.  They have nothing.  They spent all of their savings taking time off work, going down south for treatment, and paying for the daily things in life with no income.  We tried to help as best we could.  We let them use the company gas card for their trips down south (a 13 hour drive!).

Yesterday, we bought S and her kids Christmas presents.  I wrote on the tag "From SANTA".  They're going to need some magic this Christmas.  We also made up a care package for them of shampoo and bubble bath for the kids, coupons and gift certificates to the grocery store for S.  We also got them a gift certificate for a restaurant.  I stood in the card aisle reading the sympathy cards.  With tears in my eyes, I picked a very special card for them.  I know none of it is going to make anything hurt any less, but I'm hoping that at least they can smile for a minute or two, and know that they are not alone.

So, everyone can just stop dying now.  My heart can't handle any more pain for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment