Saturday, January 1, 2011

Irony at it's finest?

Every family supper I play a game of Scrabble with my mother-in-Law (MIL) and my sister-in-law (SIL).  Occasionally we're joined by my brother-in-law (BIL) or father-in-law (FIL).  90% of the time I win.  It's my favourite board game.

I used to play it as a child by myself.  My mum had an old copy of the game.  The box was falling apart; the broken corners no longer held together by scotch tape that had long lost it's adhesive.  The tiles were kept together in one of my father's old black socks.  I was THRILLED when my mum gave the game to me when I moved out on my own.  Over the years I've acquired a travel version and a fancy version with the spinning board.

So, this evening, after a fantastic New Years Day family dinner, my MIL, SIL and myself sat down for a game.  My MIL had invited her neighbour over for dinner, too.  The neighbour (J) is an author and teacher.  I was excited to play with a professional "wordy".  The first sentence out of her mouth as she sat down to join us was "I'm not really good with words."  ::insert bubble pop here::  Really?  An author and teacher is self-proclaimed "not good with words".  I was so disappointed.

My initial excitement to play Scrabble with an author overshadowed my ability to tolerate J in very small doses.  She's an odd duck.  She's eccentric, flighty and has no social filter.  And the fact that she didn't know how to play Scrabble and questioned EVERY word any of us laid on the board, made our usual game seem 100 hours long.  J drove me up the wall.  It was excruciating!

Ironic?  Yes, I think so.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/scrabble.png

No comments:

Post a Comment